Sunday, August 22, 2010

The girl with the what the fucking hell why is she being raped tattoo.

So I'm watching a movie, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I thought when I watched this I would see a murder mystery movie with a feminist twist.

What I got was a murder movie staring an almost all male cast, with a exploitation film subplot. Yay! I love watching exploitation films where lesbians bisexual women get raped buy fat sadists. NOT.

The thing that really bothers me is that this entire subplot was completely unnecessary. It didn't grow her as a character, it bares no importance to the plot, and it actually inflates the length of the movie to its detriment. It's like the author wanted to appear dark and edgy, which it probably was.

I wouldn't mind seeing a movie where rape is invovled. It's a part of life. A gruesome, vile, contemptible part of life. Like war, murder, starvation, racism, and Michael Cera. These things that healthy minded people would wish not exist, but they do. It's unfortunate, but pretending these things don't exist gives the viewing public the impression that they don't and make the victims off them feel isolated and outside reality.

So we need to portray these things for their sake, albeit responsibly. Making a movie about a woman who is violently raped and then pursues an unrealistic scheme doesn't help.

It's like movies like Avatar. They point out an important social problem, then resolve it in an unrealistic mater.

...and I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling smurfs!


Some movies need a depressing end to wake the world up. Yes, it was nice and uplifting, but no one gave a shit about it. They were all "OMG, amazing 3D!" I haven't heard one person, read one review about this movie where they were actually moved by the environmental moral. Why? Because the story was resolved, every single person walked out of that theatre satisfied. Complacent. Unmoved.

What they should have felt was pissed off. If in the end of the movie Jake Sully and the smurfs were dead, and the corporations had won, everyone would leave the theatres pissed off.

Pissed off like they should be about the environment. Like they should be about war. They should be about rape.

Anyway, I don't know where I'm going with this. It just felt good to write.

No comments: